Lowell Stanley Injury Lawyers Blog
April 16th, 2018
Our lives are heavily dependent on the safety of consumer products. The beds we sleep in, the cars we drive to work, and the appliances we use to cook our food are all parts of our daily lives. We trust the manufacturers of those products to test them thoroughly and to keep us out of harm when we purchase and use them.
Unfortunately, it’s impossible to make sure every product that a manufacturer releases is 100-percent safe, but some manufacturers allow inherently flawed and dangerous products onto the market to maximize their profits. To make matters worse, this can also happen with medical devices, including those that are implanted inside patients’ bodies.
When medical devices fail due to design or manufacturing flaws, patients face serious health risks and complications. If you or you someone you love ever faces this situation, you should:
- Call your doctor immediately—Symptoms of a defective medical device include pain, reduced mobility, inflammation, bleeding, and illness due to materials breaking off and entering the bloodstream. Your doctor can diagnose your condition and provide evidence to link it to your medical device.
- Call a Norfolk defective product lawyer—If evidence indicates that your injury or illness was caused by your medical device, you need heavy-hitting legal representation on your side. Medical device companies are well-protected from a legal standpoint, but we know how to tip the scales in our clients’ favor.
Call Lowell Stanley Injury Lawyers today for a free consultation. We’re here to help you get the money you deserve for your defective product injury or medical-device-related illness.
April 9th, 2018
Dog bites have the potential to cause severe, disabling, and even life-threatening complications in victims. That’s why it’s important to take every dog bite seriously, whether it results in a seemingly minor cut or laceration or a deep puncture wound or contusion.
At Lowell Stanley Injury Lawyers, our Norfolk dog bite lawyer knows that most canines are harmless and friendly. But dogs can bite without warning—including dogs that have no history of aggression. Many dog bite victims are in shock after being bitten, and they may delay taking the necessary steps for protecting their health and their rights to compensation.
Take these three important steps after a dog bite:
- Get medical treatment – Dog bites can cause serious bleeding and put victims at risk of infection and nerve damage. In some cases, dogs may even carry deadly diseases like rabies. Getting treated right away protects your health and creates a record of your injury.
- Get contact information from the owner of the dog that bit you – To pursue a dog bite claim, you must be able to locate the dog’s owner. You may be able to get contact information from the owner himself or from witnesses who saw the bite occur.
- Get a lawyer – The sooner you have a law firm working on your case, the better your chances will be of getting maximum compensation. The insurance company may begin working on its defense immediately, and having a lawyer on day one can help tip the scales in your favor.
Don’t let your rights go unprotected. Call us today for a free consultation from an experienced lawyer who knows dog bite laws in Virginia.
April 2nd, 2018
The aftermath of a car crash can be a confusing and overwhelming time. You’re in pain and in shock, and it can be difficult to think clearly—let alone plan for how the accident may affect your future. But the steps you take now can have a major impact on your health and your right to pursue compensation, and the first and most important step is getting medical attention.
At Lowell Stanley Injury Lawyers, our Norfolk car accident lawyers stress the importance of getting prompt treatment at emergency room or urgent care clinic after a crash for three reasons:
- It provides immediate treatment for your injuries – The sooner you get treated for the injuries you suffered in the crash, the better your prognosis will be. Delaying treatment means more pain, more complications, and prolonged time away from work.
- It rules out internal injuries – Car accidents can cause victims to suffer injuries that aren’t visible and may not be obvious for some time. Internal bleeding and organ damage can be ruled out or diagnosed and treated if you get prompt medical attention.
- It creates valuable evidence for your claim – To be eligible for compensation, you must prove your injuries were caused by another careless driver. Seeing a doctor right away creates important medical records that the insurance company won’t be able to deny when we negotiate on your behalf.
After getting medical treatment, your next step should be getting an experienced law firm on your side. Call us today for a free consultation—we’re here to help.
March 26th, 2018
For many injured workers, it’s not enough to know that they might be eligible to receive a percentage of their income via Virginia’s workers’ compensation system. They need to know how much they’ll get with every check.
At Lowell Stanley Injury Lawyers, we know that most families are on tight budgets, and while getting some income is better than none, taking even a small pay cut can have serious consequences for their households.
There are three major types of benefits, and each pays out different amounts for different amounts of time to recipients:
- Temporary disability benefits – Workers who will miss more than seven days of work are eligible to receive these benefits, which are limited to two-thirds your average weekly wage and capped at $1,043 per week in Virginia.
- Permanent total disability benefits – If a doctor confirms that your disability is permanent and will affect your ability to work for life, you will continue to receive your temporary benefits for the rest of your life.
- Permanent partial disability benefits – Some injured workers can receive additional benefits if they suffer permanent disabilities in certain body parts, including eyes, ears, arms, legs, hands, and feet. Affected workers receive two-thirds of their previous wages for a time period calculated by the level of function lost in the affected body part.
If you’re confused or wondering how you can maximize your disability payments, you’re not alone. It can be difficult to navigate the workers’ compensation system and maximize your income, but an experienced Norfolk workers’ compensation lawyer knows how to get it done. Call us today for a free consultation.
March 19th, 2018
Developing an injury or illness after taking a prescription or over-the-counter medication can be devastating. The drug you took was marketed as being effective for treating the health problems you suffer from, but instead, it only made you feel worse. You may even be facing disabling or life-threatening side effects and complications.
Despite the serious nature of your drug-related injury or illness, we know that you may be reluctant to file a claim for compensation. After all, how can you possibly stand up against a multi-billion-dollar drug corporation and its teams of lawyers?
The answer is having an experienced and qualified Virginia drug injury lawyer on your side. When we take on your claim, you can count on us to:
- Prove the drug manufacturer knew of the drug’s risks – Whether the manufacturer used misleading data or failed to properly disclose potential side effects and complications, we’ll make sure their negligence is known when you have our legal team on your side.
- Prove the drug caused your injury or illness – By collecting medical records and utilizing expert witnesses and testimony, we can conclusively link the health problems you’ve suffered with the medication you took.
Having a lawyer on your side can maximize your chances of getting the money you deserve after illness, injury, or complications caused by a drug. Call Lowell Stanley Injury Lawyers today for a free consultation.
March 12th, 2018
If your loved one’s death could have been prevented, you deserve answers—and compensation if their death was caused by negligence. At Lowell Stanley Injury Lawyers, it’s our goal to help you get the damages your family deserves during this difficult time.
A Norfolk wrongful death lawyer can speak to you after your loved one’s death if you believe it was caused by another person’s or party’s negligence. One of the most common concerns we hear is whether or not surviving loved ones have a potential claim. In order for us to determine your rights, it’s vital that you contact us so that we can hear all of the details of what happened.
However, knowing the following common causes of wrongful deaths may help you as you move forward with your claim:
- Auto accidents – Distracted drivers, drunk drivers, and aggressive drivers can seriously harm and even kill other motorists and their passengers.
- Truck accidents – Truck drivers, companies, and owners are responsible for following strict safety guidelines at all times.
- Medical malpractice – Healthcare professionals take oaths to “do no harm,” but their carelessness and negligence can cost patients their lives.
- Work-related accidents – Employers have a duty to provide their workers with safe working environments, and when they don’t, fatal accidents can occur.
Those are just a few of the accident types that can be linked to wrongful deaths. Get in touch us today with for a free consultation to find out how we can help your family get the money you deserve for the loss of your loved one.
March 5th, 2018
We trust medical professionals with our health and well-being. Whether we’re visiting a general practitioner for a checkup or going to a surgical specialist for an invasive procedure, we believe that they will treat us with the care, attention, and respect we deserve.
Unfortunately, medical professionals don’t always uphold their responsibilities and duties to patients. When doctors, surgeons, and other healthcare providers fail to provide adequate care due to carelessness, negligence, or misconduct, their patients can become seriously sick, injured, or even die.
At Lowell Stanley Injury Lawyers, it’s our goal to stand up for the rights of people who were hurt in hospitals, doctors’ offices, and other medical facilities. If you were hurt by a healthcare professional, a Norfolk medical malpractice attorney can help by:
- Working to prove your healthcare provider caused your health problems – Healthcare providers and the facilities that employ them often deny wrongdoing and negligence. But we know how to collect evidence that can help prove you were hurt by the people who were supposed to make you feel better.
- Negotiating for maximum compensation – Victims of medical mistakes often face enormous expenses, as they may be unable to return to work and they may need years of additional medical care and surgeries. We’ll calculate how much the mistake cost you, and we’ll fight to help you get the money you deserve.
It’s important to act right away if you were hurt by a medical professional. Evidence can quickly disappear, making it more difficult to get a favorable result. Call us today for a free consultation—we’re ready to get started.
February 26th, 2018
The aftermath of a car accident can be a disorienting, painful, and traumatic time for victims. But almost all victims have a lifeline in their pockets or purses that can help them protect their health and their rights after an accident: their phones.
In the minutes, hours, and days after an auto accident, it’s important for victims to call these three numbers:
- 911 – Calling 911 is required by law if you were involved in a crash that involved injuries or property damage. In addition to creating a police report of the accident, it also makes it much easier for you and other victims to get prompt medical attention for your injuries.
- Your insurance provider – Although the exact timeframe differs, most insurance providers require notice of accidents within a matter of days. It’s best to call as soon as you’re able to do so to report the crash. Failing to do so can jeopardize your chances of getting compensation.
- A Norfolk auto accident lawyer – Successful car accident claims require proof and evidence—both of which can quickly disappear. The sooner you get in touch with us, the sooner we can review your case and determine whether you have a claim.
At Lowell Stanley Injury Lawyers, it’s our goal to help innocent victims who were hurt in auto accidents that weren’t their fault, and we’re ready to put our experience to work for you. Call today for a free consultation.
February 19th, 2018
In addition to being potentially life-threatening, brain injuries also affect victims to their very core, and in some cases, victims may even undergo dramatic personality, behavioral, and cognitive changes that can make them almost unrecognizable to their families and friends.
There are many causes of brain injuries, but three of the most common include:
- Car accidents – Seat belts and air bags can help reduce the dangers of driving or riding in vehicles, but they can’t eliminate them. Brain injuries can occur on impact or even from the brain moving inside the skull during accidents.
- Slips and falls – Even something as routine as walking down stairs or through a store can lead to a brain injury. Slips and falls that involve hitting the head on a hard surface can cause devastating tissue and cellular damage inside the brain.
- Work-related accidents – People who work in industrial environments, including factories and construction sites, are particularly at risk for brain injuries, as they may work near heavy objects and machinery that operates with significant force.
At Lowell Stanley Injury Lawyers, our Norfolk brain injury lawyers know how devastating these types of injuries can be. We also know that many victims require extensive medical care and rehabilitation, with some needing around-the-clock supervision for the rest of their lives. That’s a financial burden that many families simply can’t bear.
It’s our goal to help victims and their loved ones get the full compensation they deserve. If you or someone you love suffered a brain injury, we’re here to help. Call today for a free consultation.
February 12th, 2018
Finding out that your precious newborn child was harmed by a doctor or healthcare professional before, during, or after delivery is devastating. Because infants are so vulnerable, even minor mistakes and oversights can result in lifelong health problems and complications.
At Lowell Stanley Injury Lawyers, our Norfolk birth injury lawyers are here to help the families of children who were victims of negligent healthcare providers and suffered broken bones or developed serious health problems like cerebral palsy, shoulder dystocia, or Erb’s palsy.
We know that you may be reluctant to pursue a claim against the doctor who helped delivery your baby or the hospital where the birth took place, especially if you’ve never needed a lawyer before.
An experienced legal team can handle all of the details of the claim while you spend time with your child and your family. You can count on a birth injury lawyer to:
- Prove the birth injury occurred – We’ll collect evidence that leaves no doubt that your child was harmed before, during, or after delivery at the hospital.
- Prove the birth injury was due to negligence – It’s not enough to just prove that the injury happened, and that’s why we continue collecting evidence until we can conclusively link your child’s injury or health problems to a provider’s carelessness.
Going up against a hospital or other healthcare facility requires experience and resources—and we want to help. We aren’t afraid of a fight, and we’ll do everything we can to maximize your chances of getting compensation. Call today for a free consultation.