Lowell Stanley Injury Lawyers Blog
June 18th, 2018
The grief and pain of losing a loved one are difficult to deal with, especially if their passing means that you and your family will be without the emotional, familial, and financial support that they provided. But if your loved one died as a result of another person’s or party’s negligence, you may be able to file a claim for compensation. However, doing so can be difficult without an experienced legal team on your side.
At Lowell Stanley Injury Lawyers, a Norfolk wrongful death lawyer from our firm can help if you feel like you have nowhere else to turn after the loss of a loved one. Facing a future without your loved one can be frightening, but getting compensation for his or her death can help you begin building a future for yourself and your other family members.
Having a lawyer on your side can make a big difference when it comes to pursuing compensation for the following reasons:
- A lawyer can prove your loved one’s death was preventable—There are many factors that go into fatal accidents, injuries, or incidents, and it’s not always easy to determine who was at fault or whether deaths were preventable. Our legal team knows the ins and outs of wrongful death claims, and we know what evidence to look for and present to leave no doubt in the insurance company’s mind.
- A lawyer can help you get maximum compensation—Even if you’re able to prove that your loved one’s death was caused by negligence, the insurance company may offer only a small settlement—if anything at all. After we’ve established your loss was due to negligence, we’ll fight to maximize your chances of getting the full amount you deserve for things like lost income, medical expenses, and pain and suffering.
Contact us today for a free consultation. We know what you’re going through, and we want to help.
June 11th, 2018
Workplace injuries can be painful, debilitating, and disabling. And without taking the right steps after suffering one, you may be left unable to return to your job for the foreseeable future, putting your income and even your career at risk.
At Lowell Stanley Injury Lawyers, our Norfolk workers’ compensation attorneys have helped many people just like you who were hurt at work, and we know how important it is for victims to take the proper steps to help protect themselves and their families.
One of the biggest concerns that workplace injury victims should have is the passage of time. It’s crucial to seek help right away for the following reasons:
- Waiting too long to report your injury can make your employer suspicious—The more time that passes between your injury occurring and the injury being reported, the more likely it is that your employer and its insurance company may be suspicious of your claim. Report any workplace injuries immediately to begin the workers’ compensation process as soon as possible.
- Evidence is harder to come by if you wait too long after an accident—Getting approved for workers’ compensation benefits often requires evidence that injuries happened on the job. But if you wait too long, evidence may disappear, and your own recollections of what happened may become muddled or inconsistent.
We’re ready to begin building your claim today. Call now for a free consultation to see how we may be able to help with your workers’ compensation case.
June 4th, 2018
Car accidents are one of the leading causes of death in the U.S. for people of all ages. That’s why law enforcement officers are always on the lookout for drivers who violate driving laws, including speeding, driving under the influence of alcohol, or failing to stop at stop signs and traffic lights.
But a significant number of car crashes are caused by factors that drivers aren’t always aware of. Two of those factors include:
- Overconfidence—It’s easy to feel like you’re completely safe on the road, especially when you’re driving a route you’re extremely familiar with and you’re already taking all the necessary safety precautions. But just being overconfident is enough to increase your risk of being involved in a crash, as it means you may actually be less aware of your surroundings.
- Fatigue—Whether it’s sleepiness, physical exhaustion, or mental drain, fatigue is common among Virginia’s drivers, and it’s a significant factor in crashes. It’s important to avoid driving if you feel mentally or physically exhausted, as fatigue can affect you the same way that alcohol impairment can when you’re behind the wheel.
At Lowell Stanley Injury Lawyers, we know that no two car accidents are the same, and the causes of crashes aren’t always obvious. That’s why our Norfolk auto accident attorneys carefully evaluate claims to collect and analyze evidence that proves the other driver was at fault.
Don’t call just any law firm if you were hurt in a crash that wasn’t your fault. Get our experience on your side—call today for a free consultation.
May 29th, 2018
Prescription medications are supposed to help you heal and manage your symptoms—not make you feel worse or put your health or even your life at risk.
Many new medications are approved for usage in the U.S. every year by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). And while all medications are supposed to receive extensive safety testing before being released to the public, sometimes drug manufacturers fail to properly test their products or they may even hide known adverse effects to improve the chances of their drugs being approved by the FDA.
When that happens, innocent victims like you can suffer serious injuries and health complications. If you or someone you love was hurt by a prescription medication, taking the following two steps can help you protect your health and your rights to compensation:
- Call or visit your doctor as soon as possible—While you should never stop taking a medication without first speaking to your doctor, you also shouldn’t wait to find out if the medication is causing your health problems. The sooner you can see your healthcare provider, the sooner you’ll be able to pinpoint what’s harming your health.
- Call a Roanoke drug injury lawyer—Drug injuries can cause victims to require expensive medical treatment while putting them out of work indefinitely—and sometimes permanently. Having an experienced legal team on your side means you’ll be able to maximize your chances of receiving compensation for your drug injury-related expenses.
Get in touch with Lowell Stanley Injury Lawyers today to find out how a drug injury attorney can help. Just fill out a free consultation form.
May 21st, 2018
The possibility that your loved one is being abused or neglected while living in a nursing home can be difficult to come to terms with. You may feel powerless, guilty, and frightened for his or her health and well-being.
At Lowell Stanley Injury Lawyers, we know how devastating that realization can be. You trusted the healthcare professionals and staff at the nursing home to provide your loved one with the absolute best care possible, but instead, he or she is suffering at their hands.
As soon as you suspect that mistreatment is occurring, it’s important that you take the following three steps:
- Ask your loved one about what’s happening—If possible, speak to your loved one in private about his or her treatment at the nursing home. Although it’s common for residents to feel too intimidated or anxious to tell others—even their own family members—about their abuse or neglect, a private and honest conversation can help you learn more about what’s happening.
- Speak with the nursing home director or manager—Bring up your concerns with a member of the management team or the director of the nursing home. In some cases, a single staff member can be responsible for abusing multiple residents, and altering management can save others from that same mistreatment.
- Call an experienced Norfolk nursing home abuse lawyer—When residents are abused by nursing home staff, they and their families deserve compensation, but it can be difficult to get it without legal advocates on their side.
We’re ready to help you and your loved get the money you deserve for what you’ve been through. Call today for a free consultation.
May 14th, 2018
Brain injuries have the potential to change victims’ lives in dramatic ways. When a person’s brain is injured or damaged because of an accident, everything about them may change. Their cognitive abilities may be reduced, their physical coordination may be impaired, and their personality may change.
At Lowell Stanley Injury Lawyers, our Norfolk brain injury lawyers know how devastating it can be for families when a loved one experiences the profound and life-altering changes associated with brain injuries. That’s why we do everything in our power to help those families get the compensation they need for their medical bills and lost wages.
It can be difficult to file and pursue a brain injury claim without an experienced legal team on your side. When you contact us, you can count on our legal team to take the following steps to protect your rights to compensation:
- We’ll collect evidence that proves the injury occurred due to someone’s negligence—As with many personal injury claims, brain injury claims require proof that they were caused by another person’s or party’s negligence. Our experience means we can quickly and efficiently find evidence that supports your claim—evidence the insurance company can’t ignore.
- We’ll negotiate to get your family maximum compensation—Even when insurance companies know they can’t easily deny a claim, they frequently offer victims and their families small payments to reach quick resolutions. We’ll calculate how much the injury will cost your family, and we’ll negotiate to make sure you’re offered an adequate settlement.
Call us today for a free consultation.
May 7th, 2018
Birth injuries are devastating for families, especially when they happen because of healthcare providers’ negligence. Women who are going into labor rightfully expect the absolute best care possible when they travel to hospitals to give birth, but they don’t always get the attention and consideration they deserve.
Whether doctors and other medical professionals are distracted, careless, poorly trained, or even acting maliciously, babies and their mothers can be harmed before, during, and after labor by the people they trust the most during this vulnerable time.
At Lowell Stanley Injury Lawyers, our Norfolk birth injury lawyers have helped families who have been affected by a variety of birth injuries, including:
- Cerebral palsy—Cerebral palsy affects movement and motor function, and it’s caused by abnormal brain development. It can be caused by birth injuries due to oxygen deprivation during delivery, exposure to in-utero injections, head injuries during childbirth, and undiagnosed or untreated brain bleeding and infections.
- Erb’s palsy—Similar to cerebral palsy, Erb’s palsy also affects movement throughout the body, but it’s caused by damaged nerves in the arms. It can be caused by the stretching or unnatural movements of babies’ necks during delivery.
- Uterine rupture—Mothers can also suffer serious birth injuries. Uterine ruptures can occur during delivery, and it’s up to doctors, nurses, and other healthcare professionals present during delivery to monitor and treat this condition if it occurs.
Get the legal representation you deserve if you, your child, or someone you love was hurt during delivery by a negligent medical professional. Call today for a free consultation to find out how we may be able to help.
April 30th, 2018
Bicycle accidents can be just as traumatic, painful, and disabling as auto and motorcycle accidents.
At Lowell Stanley Injury Lawyers, our Norfolk bicycle accident lawyers know that bicyclists face many dangers when they head out on their local streets. Drivers are conditioned to be on the lookout for other cars, trucks, and SUVs. Motorcycles are loud enough to help capture their attention, but cyclists can prove to be more of a challenge for inattentive drivers, whether they are riding on rural roads or busy city streets.
When drivers look away from the road, they may change lanes into the paths of motorcyclists, cut them off at intersections, or drift into bike lanes. All of those actions can cause bicyclists to crash, and in some cases, bicyclists are even struck directly by vehicles.
If you or someone you love was hurt in a bicycle accident, it’s important to have a legal team on your side that can help you get compensation for:
- Medical bills—Bicyclists commonly suffer broken bones and may even experience head injuries. They frequently face long paths to recovery, and they may need surgeries and physical rehabilitation. We’ll fight to help you get the money you need to get better.
- Lost wages—Any serious, painful, or debilitating injury can make it impossible to work for a prolonged period of time. We’ll calculate how much money you’ve lost due to your bicycle accident, and we’ll negotiate with the insurance company to get you full compensation.
Don’t let a bicycle accident that wasn’t your fault put your family in a financial bind. Call Lowell Stanley today for a free consultation.
April 23rd, 2018
Motorcycle accident victims often face uniquely challenging paths to recovery. Because motorcycles have no built-in safety features, riders are responsible for protecting themselves every time they head out on Virginia’s highways and interstates.
But even the safest, most well-equipped riders still face significant risks—especially when other drivers aren’t paying attention or aren’t used to looking out for people who travel on two wheels instead of four.
Motorcycle accidents can cause injuries to every part of the body, including the brain. That means many injured riders face recoveries than can take months, years, or even indefinite periods of time. And while they’re recovering, their medical bills are mounting, and they may be unable to work and earn the paychecks they and their families depend on.
At Lowell Stanley Injury Lawyers, our Norfolk motorcycle accident attorneys help victims by:
- Proving the accident wasn’t their fault—Insurance companies are hesitant to accept claims if they believe victims were partially or fully responsible for accidents. Our legal team knows how to collect evidence that shows motorcycle accident victims were hurt by other negligent parties.
- Negotiating to get maximum compensation—When insurance companies know they can’t deny a claim, they often offer lowball settlements. We fight to help victims get full compensation for their current and future medical bills and lost wages.
If you or someone you love was hurt in a motorcycle accident, you need an experienced law firm on your side. Leave the paperwork and communication with the insurance company up to us while you focus on getting better.
Call today for a free consultation.
April 16th, 2018
Our lives are heavily dependent on the safety of consumer products. The beds we sleep in, the cars we drive to work, and the appliances we use to cook our food are all parts of our daily lives. We trust the manufacturers of those products to test them thoroughly and to keep us out of harm when we purchase and use them.
Unfortunately, it’s impossible to make sure every product that a manufacturer releases is 100-percent safe, but some manufacturers allow inherently flawed and dangerous products onto the market to maximize their profits. To make matters worse, this can also happen with medical devices, including those that are implanted inside patients’ bodies.
When medical devices fail due to design or manufacturing flaws, patients face serious health risks and complications. If you or you someone you love ever faces this situation, you should:
- Call your doctor immediately—Symptoms of a defective medical device include pain, reduced mobility, inflammation, bleeding, and illness due to materials breaking off and entering the bloodstream. Your doctor can diagnose your condition and provide evidence to link it to your medical device.
- Call a Norfolk defective product lawyer—If evidence indicates that your injury or illness was caused by your medical device, you need heavy-hitting legal representation on your side. Medical device companies are well-protected from a legal standpoint, but we know how to tip the scales in our clients’ favor.
Call Lowell Stanley Injury Lawyers today for a free consultation. We’re here to help you get the money you deserve for your defective product injury or medical-device-related illness.