Lowell Stanley Injury Lawyers Blog
August 13th, 2018
Finding out that your loved one wasn’t given the care, attention, and medical treatment he or she deserves in the nursing home is devastating. It’s even worse to learn that he or she was physically, mentally, or sexually abused while living in the facility.
At Lowell Stanley Injury Lawyers, we have zero tolerance for facilities that hire staff members who mistreat residents. When we take on such claims, we do everything in our power to get maximum compensation for victims and their families. It’s the least we can do to help them put the incident behind them and to find better accommodations and facilities where residents are treated with respect and dignity.
If your loved one was abused or neglected in his or her nursing home, there are two important reasons that you should calling a Norfolk nursing home abuse attorney:
- We’ll stand up to the nursing home and its insurance company—Many nursing homes are parts of big corporations, and there may be dozens of similar nursing homes operating under the same management and ownership. That can make it difficult for individual families to pursue compensation. But we know how those corporations and their insurers operate, and we can beat them at their own game.
- We’ll fight for your loved one’s rights—Nursing home residents in Virginia have many rights, and when they’re violated, and they deserve a voice and an advocate. In addition to fighting for your loved one to get fair compensation, we’ll also fight to make sure his or her rights are upheld and respected.
Call today for a free consultation. Your loved one deserves experienced legal representation after what he or she has been through, and we’re here to help.
August 6th, 2018
Around four million babies are born in the U.S. every year. The doctors, nurses, and other healthcare professionals who assist during the delivery process are invaluable for keeping women and their children safe, especially when complications arise.
But sometimes, those complications are caused by the healthcare providers themselves. When people involved in the delivery process are negligent or careless, serious injuries can occur to mothers and babies.
Common injuries include cerebral palsy and Erb’s palsy in children and uterine rupture in mothers. Some birth injuries can be prevented via careful monitoring and handling, and potential complications can be resolved when doctors and nurses are quick to notice symptoms and injuries. However, the proper steps aren’t always taken just before, during, and after delivery, and that can cause women and their children to suffer debilitating and even life-threatening injuries.
At Lowell Stanley Injury Lawyers, our Norfolk birth injury attorneys know how devastating those types of complications are for families and mothers. Everyone wants the best start in life for their child, and knowing that the healthcare professionals you entrusted with the birth of your child may have harmed him or her is shocking and painful.
Let us help you get the compensation you deserve during this difficult time. Call us today for a free consultation. We’re ready to put our experience to work for you.
July 30th, 2018
Car accidents are painful, stressful, and often traumatic for victims. It’s natural to want to share your experience with others, including your coworkers, the insurance adjuster, and even your social media friends and followers.
But it’s important to remember that insurance companies are always looking for ways to reduce or deny payments to victims like you. The adjusters that work for insurers will go to great lengths to collect evidence that implicates people who file compensation claims for their own accidents.
At Lowell Stanley Injury Lawyers, our Norfolk car accident attorneys know how invasive adjusters can be, and they often twist victims’ words and use them against them.
You can protect your rights by keeping these rules of thumb in mind:
- Stick to the facts when talking to the adjuster—Insurance adjusters often seem friendly on the phone or in person, but they’re often looking for direct or indirect statements that indicate fault for crashes. If you haven’t hired an attorney yet, stick to the facts when talking to the adjuster. Otherwise, let your lawyer handle all communication with the insurance company.
- Don’t post about your accident or injury claim on social media—Social media posts can be saved forever and even used as evidence in claims and court cases. Keep all information or opinions concerning your accident and your case off social media to make it that much harder for the insurance company to deny you the money you deserve.
When you call us, we’ll do everything we can to maximize your chances of getting the money you deserve—and that includes advising you on what to do and talking to the insurance company on your behalf. Contact us today for a free consultation.
July 23rd, 2018
The number of drugs approved for sale and usage in the U.S. in 2017 reached a 21-year high, with 46 new medications getting the green light from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
Every year, dozens of new drugs are released to the consumer market. And while most of those drugs are safe due to rigorous testing, some aren’t. That’s because drug manufacturers don’t always test their drugs as thoroughly as they’re supposed to. And in some cases, drug companies are aware of potentially dangerous complications, but they don’t report them to make sure their drugs get FDA approval.
At Lowell Stanley Injury Lawyers, we believe that multi-billion-dollar pharmaceutical companies should be held liable when their negligence or greed causes innocent victims like you to suffer serious drug-related side effects or injuries.
When you call our Norfolk drug injury lawyers, we’ll take the following steps to build a strong claim for you:
- We’ll prove the drug caused your health problems—Drug companies are skeptical of injury reports associated with their drugs—especially when the injuries aren’t consistent with publicized side effects. But other information, including FDA recalls/warnings and scientific studies, can establish a link between your health problems and the drug you took.
- We’ll prove the drug manufacturer was negligent—When a potentially dangerous drug gets released, there’s a good chance its manufacturer was negligent. Whether the drug company skipped steps in the testing process or obfuscated evidence that the drug you took could cause harm to patients, we’ll hold it accountable for its negligence.
Trust our experience—we know drug injury claims, and we know what it takes to win. Call today for a free consultation.
July 16th, 2018
Whether it’s a product from a store or a medical device implanted into your body, the last thing you expect is for that product to harm you.
Most people assume that consumer and medical-grade products are thoroughly tested and made with user safety in mind, but that’s not always the case. Every year, thousands of people are seriously harmed by products that were designed or manufactured with serious and potentially dangerous flaws.
At Lowell Stanley Injury Lawyers, our network of Norfolk defective product lawyers know how helpless victims often feel when they’ve been hurt by items they thought were safe. Consumer and medical product manufacturers are often billion-dollar corporations, and that can leave victims believing that it’s impossible to get compensation.
However, with an experienced legal team on your side, you can level the playing field. When you call us, you can count on our attorneys to help in the following ways:
- We’ll prove you were harmed by the defective product—To be eligible for compensation, you must first prove the product in question injured you or caused complications. We’ll collect medical records and even call on expert witnesses to leave no doubt about the origin of your health problems.
- We’ll prove the product was dangerous—Whether it was due to a poor design, cut-rate manufacturing process and materials, or lack of warnings and information provided to consumers or medical professionals, we’ll prove that the product that harmed you was dangerous and liable to cause injuries and health complications.
You don’t have to suffer alone after a defective product injury. Call us today for a free consultation.
July 9th, 2018
Going to the hospital or your doctor’s office is supposed to be part of the process of getting better and recovering from your illness or injury.
But for some Americans, stepping into a healthcare facility is the beginning of a healthcare nightmare—and it’s often due to negligent physicians, surgeons, and other medical providers.
At Lowell Stanley Injury Lawyers, our Norfolk medical malpractice lawyers know that all providers in Virginia and throughout the U.S. are required to abide by strict guidelines and regulations when they treat patients. But we also know that those guidelines and regulations aren’t always followed—and that puts patients like you at risk of suffering serious injuries and illnesses.
If you were hurt by a healthcare provider, you may be eligible to receive compensation for:
- Medical bills—In addition to the medical bills you’ve already accumulated for the negligent treatments or procedures, you also may be eligible to get money for future treatment—especially if it’s necessary to treat complications arising from the substandard care you received.
- Lost wages—Medical malpractice often means short-term or long-term disability. And when you’re not working, you’re not earning the paychecks you and your loved ones depend on every month. You shouldn’t have to deal with missing the paychecks you deserve because of a medical provider’s negligence.
- Pain and suffering—Suffering from illnesses and injuries because of negligent healthcare providers can be stressful and traumatic. It’s our goal to make sure you’re fairly compensated for what you’ve been through.
Call us today for a free consultation. We’re here to help.
July 2nd, 2018
If you were recently injured while riding your motorcycle, you may be facing a long road to recovery. Motorcycle accident injuries can be devastating and disabling, and many victims suffer from long-term pain and reduced mobility.
Getting compensation for accidents that are caused by other people’s negligence is frequently difficult, but it can be even more challenging for motorcyclists. That’s because insurance companies often believe that motorcyclists are at fault for their own accidents—even when evidence suggests that other parties were to blame.
At Lowell Stanley Injury Lawyers, our Norfolk motorcycle accident lawyers know how unfair this is, and we’ve seen many motorcyclists get the runaround from insurance companies because of stereotypes and stubborn beliefs.
When you get in touch with us, you can count on our legal team to provide the following services:
- Proving the accident wasn’t your fault—Insurance companies are notoriously tough on motorcyclists. We’ll collect enough evidence to leave no doubt about who caused your accident.
- Handling all communication with the insurance company—It’s not always enough to collect and submit evidence of who caused the crash. Insurance companies frequently use adjusters to find ways to reduce or deny claims. We’ll communicate with them on your behalf, so you can have peace of mind and focus on getting better.
Don’t be a victim for a second time after being in a motorcycle crash. Get an experienced legal team that knows how to win and that cares about your recovery. Call today for a free consultation.
June 25th, 2018
At Lowell Stanley Injury Lawyers, we know that many dog bite victims are hesitant to pursue injury claims after being hurt by other people’s animals.
In many cases, victims may not believe their injuries are serious enough to warrant filing claims for compensation, while others may not want to press the matter—especially if they know the owner of the dog that bit them.
But dog bite injuries can be serious, even if they don’t appear that way in the hours or days after they occur. It’s common for dog bites to cause infections and damage to nerve and tendons, and the complications can cause victims to become permanently disabled.
Having an experienced Norfolk dog bite lawyer on your side from day one can protect your rights. When you contact us, you can count on our legal team to:
- Prove that the dog that bit you wasn’t properly restrained—Virginia’s dog ordinances require that dogs be properly restrained or leashed when they’re in public or in areas where they could pose threats to others. We can investigate the attack and collect evidence that proves the dog’s owner failed to abide by city or local ordinances.
- Prove that the bite caused your injuries—Proving that a dog wasn’t enclosed or leashed isn’t always enough to get a favorable outcome—insurance companies also want proof that the dog bite caused severe pain, suffering, or disability. We’ll use medical records and even expert testimony to conclusively link your injuries to the bite.
The longer you wait to get an attorney on your side, the more difficult it may be to find crucial evidence. Call today for a free consultation.
June 18th, 2018
The grief and pain of losing a loved one are difficult to deal with, especially if their passing means that you and your family will be without the emotional, familial, and financial support that they provided. But if your loved one died as a result of another person’s or party’s negligence, you may be able to file a claim for compensation. However, doing so can be difficult without an experienced legal team on your side.
At Lowell Stanley Injury Lawyers, a Norfolk wrongful death lawyer from our firm can help if you feel like you have nowhere else to turn after the loss of a loved one. Facing a future without your loved one can be frightening, but getting compensation for his or her death can help you begin building a future for yourself and your other family members.
Having a lawyer on your side can make a big difference when it comes to pursuing compensation for the following reasons:
- A lawyer can prove your loved one’s death was preventable—There are many factors that go into fatal accidents, injuries, or incidents, and it’s not always easy to determine who was at fault or whether deaths were preventable. Our legal team knows the ins and outs of wrongful death claims, and we know what evidence to look for and present to leave no doubt in the insurance company’s mind.
- A lawyer can help you get maximum compensation—Even if you’re able to prove that your loved one’s death was caused by negligence, the insurance company may offer only a small settlement—if anything at all. After we’ve established your loss was due to negligence, we’ll fight to maximize your chances of getting the full amount you deserve for things like lost income, medical expenses, and pain and suffering.
Contact us today for a free consultation. We know what you’re going through, and we want to help.
June 11th, 2018
Workplace injuries can be painful, debilitating, and disabling. And without taking the right steps after suffering one, you may be left unable to return to your job for the foreseeable future, putting your income and even your career at risk.
At Lowell Stanley Injury Lawyers, our Norfolk workers’ compensation attorneys have helped many people just like you who were hurt at work, and we know how important it is for victims to take the proper steps to help protect themselves and their families.
One of the biggest concerns that workplace injury victims should have is the passage of time. It’s crucial to seek help right away for the following reasons:
- Waiting too long to report your injury can make your employer suspicious—The more time that passes between your injury occurring and the injury being reported, the more likely it is that your employer and its insurance company may be suspicious of your claim. Report any workplace injuries immediately to begin the workers’ compensation process as soon as possible.
- Evidence is harder to come by if you wait too long after an accident—Getting approved for workers’ compensation benefits often requires evidence that injuries happened on the job. But if you wait too long, evidence may disappear, and your own recollections of what happened may become muddled or inconsistent.
We’re ready to begin building your claim today. Call now for a free consultation to see how we may be able to help with your workers’ compensation case.