Lowell Stanley Injury Lawyers Blog
April 1st, 2019
Car accidents are painful and traumatic. You may need immediate medical attention, and your injuries may prevent you from working for weeks, months, or even years. It can be difficult to handle the aftermath of an auto accident alone, but there are certain people and parties that you should reach out to as soon as possible to protect your health and your rights to compensation.
Being honest and upfront with the following five parties can make a big difference in the outcome of your auto accident claim:
- 911 dispatcher—Call 911 as soon as possible after your auto accident. Stay on the line as long as necessary, and be sure to provide information such as where the crash occurred, how many vehicles are involved, and the severity of injuries.
- Responding police officer—All accidents involving property damage and injuries in Virginia are recorded by police officers. When an officer arrives at the scene, cooperate with him or her and be honest about what happened.
- Medical professionals—Whether you get treated at the scene by emergency responders or at a hospital in the following days, never exaggerate or downplay your injuries. The more accurately you can describe them, the better care you’ll receive.
- Your insurance company—Your auto insurance provider requires that you report the accident within a matter of days. Do so as soon as possible, but stick to the facts and never admit fault.
- A Norfolk auto accident lawyer—The sooner your compensation claim is built, the better your chances of getting compensation. Calling a lawyer right away may mean more evidence for your case, and that can make a big difference.
Ready to get started on your path to compensation? Call us today for a free consultation.
March 25th, 2019
Have you or someone you love recently suffered from a traumatic brain injury (TBI)? Whether it was due to a car accident, a motorcycle accident, a workplace accident, or any other accident, it’s important to get legal representation on your side.
TBIs are expensive and life-changing. Victims often have difficulty with routine and day-to-day tasks, which means many are unable to work for long periods of time and even for the rest of their lives. The combination of lost paychecks and expensive medical bills and rehabilitation is often too much for many families to bear.
At Lowell Stanley Injury Lawyers, our Norfolk brain injury attorneys know what you’re going through after a TBI. We’ve seen the profound effects that TBIs have on families, and we know that those injuries can result in difficulties that last for decades. That’s why we strive to help victims and their loved ones get maximum compensation after injuries that weren’t their fault.
When you choose us to handle your TBI claim, we’ll do everything in our power to help you get the money you deserve. We’ll start by finding out who was responsible for the injury, and then we’ll collect evidence that leaves no doubt in the insurance company’s mind concerning liability. Then, we’ll determine how much money your family is owed. Finally, we’ll negotiate with the insurance company to help you get every penny.
Get a law firm on your side that understands your situation and knows how to help. Call us today for a free consultation.
March 18th, 2019
If you ride a bicycle on public roads in Virginia, you must obey the same traffic laws as everyone else. That means observing the speed limit, stopping at stop signs and red lights, and avoiding distractions. Following those laws means that you also deserve the same level of respect and consideration as people traveling in passenger vehicles.
Unfortunately, that doesn’t always happen. Drivers are often accustomed to looking out for other cars, trucks, and SUVs, putting bicyclists at increased risk. And because bicyclists often have no protection outside of helmets, they can suffer serious and even life-threatening injuries when they’re involved in accidents with passenger vehicles.
If you or someone you love was hurt while riding a bicycle, the Norfolk bicycle accident attorneys at Lowell Stanley Injury Lawyers want to help. You may be facing weeks or even months away from work, and your medical bills may be more than you can afford. But if your accident happened because of someone else’s negligence, you may be eligible to pursue a claim to get money for your accident-related expenses.
Don’t let the insurance company or the driver who struck you or caused your accident intimidate you into giving up your rights to the money you deserve. Our legal team knows how to collect evidence that proves bicyclists weren’t at fault for their accidents, and it’s our goal to build a strong claim on your behalf. Contact us today for a free consultation.
March 11th, 2019
Doctors, surgeons, and other healthcare professionals swear to do no harm to their patients when they begin their careers. However, they’re human, and that means some of their patients may have poor outcomes—especially after procedures or treatments that are inherently risky. But when medical providers make serious mistakes due to negligence or carelessness, they can and should be held liable for the injuries, illnesses, and complications that their patients face.
At Lowell Stanley Injury Lawyers, our Norfolk medical malpractice attorneys have helped many people whose health problems were worsened or weren’t effectively treated by the people who were supposed to help them feel better. If you or someone you love was harmed by a healthcare provider, it’s important to speak with a lawyer as soon as possible. Health clinics and hospitals are often well-prepared for the possibility of medical malpractice claims, and the sooner we can begin building a claim for you, the better.
In addition, it can be difficult for patients to determine whether their poor outcomes are caused by medical malpractice. Our law firm knows how to collect evidence and interview expert witnesses to find out the difference. Medical mistakes can cost victims for years to come due to additional medical bills and lost wages. Don’t accept what happened to you without speaking to a lawyer—call us today for a free consultation to find out how we may be able to help.
March 4th, 2019
Virginia is a great state to call home for motorcyclists. With mild weather year-round and countless scenic routes, taking in the sights and sounds of the Commonwealth on two wheels is an experience unlike any other. However, Virginia motorcyclists face increased risks when they ride—and most of those risks are due to drivers failing to look out for them.
At Lowell Stanley Injury Lawyers, our Norfolk motorcycle accident lawyers have represented many motorcyclists who suffered serious, disabling, and even life-threatening injuries after they were struck by vehicles. Even the most cautious and defensive drivers primarily look for other cars, trucks, and SUVs when they’re behind the wheel. That means it’s easy for drivers to overlook or fail to recognize motorcycles.
Common negligence-based causes of motorcycle accidents include:
- Drivers turning left into the paths of motorcyclists—Left-turning vehicles cause a significant number of motorcycle accidents in the U.S. That’s because drivers often think they have clearance to complete turns, but they failed to recognized that motorcycles were heading in their direction.
- Drivers drifting into lanes occupied by motorcyclists—Although motorcycles are much smaller and lighter than passenger vehicles, they deserve respect and attention on the roadway. But some drivers fail to check for motorcyclists when they change lanes. When drivers drift or merge into lanes occupied by motorcyclists, they can collide with them or force them off the road.
The expenses associated with motorcycle accidents can be too much for many families to bear. If you or someone you love was hurt on a motorcycle, we want to help you get maximum compensation. Call us today for a free consultation.
February 25th, 2019
When you visit your doctor for prenatal checkups, go to the hospital for delivery, or get post-delivery care, you expect to receive treatment that’s safe and effective. But when healthcare providers are negligent, their mistakes can result in serious injuries for you or your baby.
Common injuries and complications associated with birth injuries include:
- Cerebral palsy—Cerebral palsy is a disorder that affects the physical and mental development of affected children. It can be caused by various delivery-related complications, including oxygen deprivation, exposure to infections, head injuries, and brain bleeds.
- Erb’s palsy—Nerves that run through the vertebrae to the arms, hands, and fingers can be damaged during delivery if babies’ necks are stretched to their sides. Children affected with this condition may experience weakness and loss of motion for the rest of their lives.
- Uterine rupture—Uterine ruptures are potentially fatal for both mothers and their children. Doctors can often prevent them via careful monitoring and evaluations, but they don’t always do that for expectant mothers.
At Lowell Stanley Injury Lawyers, our Norfolk birth injury attorneys are here to assist if you or your child suffered injuries due to a negligent healthcare provider at any point during your pregnancy, during delivery, or shortly after your child’s birth.
Contact us today for a free consultation to find out how we may be able to help.
February 18th, 2019
The financial impact of injuries is twofold.
First, victims incur big medical bills that can continue to pile up for weeks, months, or even years after their injuries occur. That’s because injuries often require everything from surgeries and hospitalization to prescription medications and physical rehabilitation.
Second, injuries can result in temporary or permanent disabilities that make it difficult or impossible for victims to work in any capacity. That means no paychecks and no way to support themselves or their families.
The Norfolk personal injury attorneys at Lowell Stanley Injury Lawyers believe that innocent victims shouldn’t have to suffer because of injuries that weren’t their fault. That’s why we do everything we can to help victims get maximum compensation for their injury-related expenses.
If you or someone you love was injured because of a negligent driver, healthcare professional, dog owner, nursing home employee, or any other party, we’re here to help. First, we’ll investigate your claim to determine your rights to compensation. If we prove you weren’t at fault, we’ll determine exactly how much money you need to move forward with your life. Finally, we’ll negotiate with the insurance company to help you get it.
Don’t trust the insurance company to give you a fair settlement without a lawyer on your side. Insurance companies are in business to generate big profits for themselves—not for injured victims like you. Contact us today for a free consultation to find out how we may be able to help you and your loved ones.
February 11th, 2019
Dog bites can be disruptive to victims’ lives in several ways, including:
- Pain—Dog bites are painful both when they occur and throughout the healing process. Dogs have sharp teeth that are designed to rip through skin and muscle. Regardless of breed, all dogs have the potential to cause painful injuries that can make it difficult to work or use the affected body part.
- Disability—In addition to debilitating pain, dog bites can also cause disability. That’s because dogs’ teeth are sharp and long enough to penetrate deep into the skin and damage nerves. Nerve damage can result in paralysis or reduced control over hands, fingers, feet, and other affected areas of the body.
- Infection—Don’t believe the myth that dogs’ mouths are clean. They’re teeming with bacteria, and their long, sharp teeth can act as syringes that inject bacteria deep into victims’ bloodstreams during bites. That means infections after bites aren’t just localized to the bite areas—they can also spread throughout the body and pose potentially life-threatening complications.
At Lowell Stanley Injury Lawyers, our Norfolk dog bite attorneys are here to fight for the rights of anyone who has been injured by a dog that wasn’t properly leashed or enclosed in accordance to Virginia local ordinances.
The bite-related expenses you’re facing for your medical bills and lost wages are significant, and you deserve compensation for every penny you’ve spent or lost due to the dog owner’s negligence. Contact us today for a free consultation.
February 4th, 2019
Almost all Virginia employers are required to carry workers’ compensation insurance in the event that their employees get sick or hurt on the job and temporarily can’t work. Because missing even a single paycheck can be devastating for many families, that insurance is designed to provide a safety net for workers whose health prevents them from earning the wages that their loved ones depend on.
But in an effort to make sure only people who truly need the benefits are allowed to get them, the Virginia Workers’ Compensation Commission has developed strict criteria for approving claims. Its strict guidelines and review process mean that many valid claims get denied for minor mistakes and oversights, leaving injured employees with no recourse for recovering their lost wages.
The Virginia workers’ compensation attorneys at Lowell Stanley Injury Lawyers know how important claims are to injured workers and how vital it is for them to get approved the first time around. Our years of experience building and submitting workers’ compensation claims for injured employees throughout the state means that we know exactly what the commission looks for when it reviews claims.
Don’t take any chances when it comes to getting the money you and loved ones need during this difficult time. Get our experienced legal team on your side today. Call us for a free consultation to find out how we may be able to help.
January 28th, 2019
Whether your loved one died due to a car accident, work accident, medical mistake, or drug/medical device defect, you may be eligible to receive compensation. That’s because any death caused by another person’s or party’s negligence may constitute a wrongful death, and surviving family members can file compensation claims for expenses such as medical bills, funeral costs, lost wages, pain and suffering, and more.
At Lowell Stanley Injury Lawyers, our Norfolk wrongful death attorneys know that losing a loved one is one of the most difficult things you can ever experience. It’s our goal to make the grieving process a little easier by removing one of the biggest worries that surviving family members like you often have after losing a loved one. An unexpected death isn’t just emotionally traumatic—it can also put your family in financial crisis.
Wrongful death claims are often complex and sensitive, but our attorneys know how to build your claim the right way. From collecting evidence that proves the other party’s negligence caused your loved one’s death, to calculating how much money your family is owed and fighting aggressively to get it for you, we’re ready to put our experience and track record of success on the line for you every step of the way.
You’ve got enough on your mind right now. Let us handle helping you get the compensation you need to begin moving forward with your life. Call us today for a free consultation.