Lowell Stanley Injury Lawyers Blog
August 5th, 2019
Whether it’s your family doctor, a specialist, or a surgeon, you trust the medical professionals who are treating you to do everything in their power to help you get better. But medical providers make mistakes, and sometimes those mistakes are due to negligence. When that happens, their patients may be seriously injured or become ill, and they may have grounds for medical malpractice claims.
The costs associated with medical malpractice can be enormous for affected patients. They may need even more medical care, including revision surgeries, to recover. And their poor health may mean they’re unable to work for an even longer time period—and that means no paychecks to cover their families’ living expenses.
Filing a medical malpractice claim should be cut and dry, especially when there’s plenty of evidence to suggest that a medical professional was negligent. Unfortunately, it’s not always easy for victims to get the money they deserve, especially when they go it on their own. Healthcare professionals, clinics, and hospitals are well protected, and their insurance providers are often reluctant to pay victims the compensation they deserve.
At Lowell Stanley Injury Lawyers, our Norfolk medical malpractice attorneys know what you’re going through, and we know how the system works. When you contact us, we’ll build a claim for you that’s designed to get results. Trust our experience and our track record of success. Call today for a free consultation.
July 29th, 2019
Your cell phone is one of your most valuable tools after an auto accident. After checking your own condition and the conditions of your passengers and any other victims, your phone can help you protect the health of everyone involved and your own rights to compensation.
Making these three phone calls should be among your top priorities after a crash:
- 911—Never assume that someone else has already called 911. Dialing 911 dispatches emergency medical personnel to the scene as well as police officers. The former can provide medical assistance to you and other victims, while the latter will complete an official report of the crash.
- Your own auto insurance provider—Auto insurance providers require notification of crashes within a matter of days—even when their policyholders aren’t at fault. You also need to contact your insurance provider to start the process of potentially collecting on your own policy based on the circumstances of the accident.
- An experienced Norfolk auto accident attorney—Car accident claims are rarely straightforward. The other driver’s insurance company will likely dispute your claim, and without evidence, it can be difficult to get compensation. The sooner you contact a lawyer, the better your chances will be of getting the money you deserve.
After you contact Lowell Stanley Injury Lawyers, we’ll do everything in our power to take the stress of the accident off your shoulders. Let us handle the insurance company while you focus on getting better. Contact us today for a free consultation.
July 22nd, 2019
You trust the owners, managers, healthcare providers, and staff members at your loved one’s nursing home to provide them with compassionate and effective care. However, some nursing homes value profits over the well-being of their residents—and their misplaced and negligent priorities can sometimes put residents’ lives at risk.
If you believe that your loved one was abused or neglected while living in a nursing home facility, it’s important to call an experienced Norfolk nursing home abuse attorney right away. At Lowell Stanley Injury Lawyers, our legal team will investigate your claim and collect evidence that proves your loved one’s rights were violated. Then, we’ll pursue maximum compensation for your family, which may include:
- Medical bills—Nursing home abuse and neglect can result in serious health problems, and victims may require expensive medical treatments to recover.
- Lost or stolen property—Staff members may damage or steal residents’ possessions, or they may force them to sign over their own personal investments.
- Pain and suffering—Residents who are neglected or abused often carry both physical and psychological scars. They may deal with the effects of their mistreatment for the rest of their lives.
When your trust is violated by an organization that was supposed to be in charge of looking after every aspect of your loved one’s day to day life, you and your loved one deserve to be compensated for what you’ve been through. Let us put our experience to work for your family. Call us today for a free consultation.
July 15th, 2019
If you served in the U.S. military between 2003 and 2015, you may have been issued defective Combat Arms earplugs manufactured by Aearo Technologies, a company that was later purchased by 3M. The earplugs are dual-ended and are supposed to block varying levels of noise depending on which side is used. However, the earplugs’ design is defective and doesn’t provide adequate hearing protection, exposing service members to damaging levels of noise during combat and training operations.
The U.S. Department of Justice sued 3M after determining that both it and Aearo Technologies falsely claimed that the Combat Arms earplugs met the U.S. government’s standards for hearing protection. As a result of the defect, thousands of military personnel were exposed to noise levels that can result in serious damage to the ear and symptoms such as tinnitus—a persistent ringing sound—and permanent hearing loss. 3M ultimately paid the U.S. government a $9.1 million settlement.
If you or someone you love experienced hearing loss or tinnitus after serving in any branch of the U.S. military, you may be eligible for compensation, as the problem may be due to defective earplugs. At Lowell Stanley Injury Lawyers, we honor people who chose to serve our country, and that includes fighting for their rights when negligent corporations put them at risk unnecessarily because of defective products. Contact our Norfolk defective product lawyers today for a free consultation.
July 8th, 2019
Whether they’re sold over the counter or only with a prescription, medications are supposed to promote healing and ease the symptoms of illnesses and injuries. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has strict standards for medications sold in the U.S., and most medications on pharmacy shelves are safe and effective. However, some medications can pose serious dangers to patients even years after they’re approved due to hidden or unpublicized risks.
Pharmaceutical companies spend billions of dollars researching, developing, manufacturing, and marketing their products. To recoup those costs, they do everything they can to make sure their medications are approved for sale—and sometimes that involves skipping important safety steps or even hiding their own findings that indicate potential dangers to patients.
At Lowell Stanley Injury Lawyers, we believe that pharmaceutical companies should be held liable when their profit-driven negligence causes innocent victims like you or someone you love to suffer health problems after taking a medication. Our Norfolk drug injury attorneys aren’t afraid to stand up to billion-dollar pharmaceutical companies and hold them accountable when innocent people are harmed by their products.
When you hire us, we’ll work to prove your injuries, illness, or complications were caused by the unsafe medication. Then, we’ll calculate how much money you’re owed for your medical bills and lost wages. Finally, we’ll negotiate to get you maximum compensation. Contact us today for a free consultation.
July 1st, 2019
Virginia requires employers to carry workers’ compensation insurance in the event that their employees get hurt on the job and can’t work. The insurance is designed to provide replacement income to injured workers until they’ve recovered enough to be back on the job, but getting approved for benefits is a difficult, complex, and often confusing process.
At Lowell Stanley Injury Lawyers, our Norfolk workers’ compensation attorneys know that the system isn’t always fair to the people who need it the most. If you were recently injured at work, you know you need compensation for your lost wages—especially if you’ve also racked up big medical bills. But navigating the workers’ compensation system on your own isn’t easy.
In fact, a significant percentage of first-time claims are denied. That’s because the Virginia Workers’ Compensation Commission has strict standards when it reviews claims. Even small errors, like late submissions or missing information, can be enough for it to deny otherwise valid claims. Having an experienced law firm on your side means you don’t have to worry about losing out on the money you deserve because of minor oversights.
Between trying to get back to work as soon as possible and trying to balance your family’s finances without the paychecks you depend on, you’ve got enough on your plate already. Let us put our experience to work for you, while you focus on what’s important for you and your loved ones. Contact us today for a free consultation.
June 24th, 2019
Whether you bike as part of your daily commute, for exercise, or for recreation, you face many risks every time you ride near vehicles. That’s because even the most bike-friendly cities can still be hazardous to cyclists due to distracted, inattentive, and downright negligent drivers.
At Lowell Stanley Injury Lawyers, we’ve helped many bicyclists who were seriously injured by drivers who didn’t uphold their duty to make public roadways a safe place for everyone—including people traveling on two wheels. When you contact our Norfolk bicycle accident lawyers after an accident that wasn’t your fault, we’ll build a strong claim for you by:
- Proving you weren’t at fault—We’ll collect evidence that proves the driver’s negligence, including witness statements, traffic camera footage, and the accident report.
- Determining how much money you’re owed—Bicycle accidents can result in severe injuries that require expensive medical treatment. They can also be disabling. We’ll find out how much money you’re owed, and we’ll work hard to help you get it.
- Handling communication with the insurance company—The other driver’s insurance company may be reluctant to pay you what you deserve. In addition to handling the negotiation process, we’ll handle all phone calls, emails, and letters from them while you focus on recovering.
You have rights as a bicyclist, and you deserve compensation if you were injured through no fault of your own. Don’t pay out of pocket for an accident that wasn’t your fault—contact us today to find out how we can help.
June 17th, 2019
Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs) are unique because of the wide-reaching consequences they have for victims. Depending on their severity, victims may experience everything from headaches and nausea to memory loss and impaired coordination. Some victims may even be so profoundly affected that they need in-home care from a nurse or other healthcare provider just to complete daily living tasks.
At Lowell Stanley Injury Lawyers, our Norfolk brain injury lawyers know that TBIs can occur due to a variety of accidents and scenarios, such as:
- Car accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Workplace accidents
- Drug injuries
- Medical malpractice
Regardless of their cause, victims often experience serious difficulties managing their day-to-day lives. And unlike many other injuries, TBIs are slow to heal and sometimes victims never get better, resulting in lifelong disabilities and complications. The expenses associated with TBIs can be enormous, especially when victims require ongoing rehabilitation and care and are unable to return to work.
If you or someone you love suffered a TBI due to someone else’s negligence, you deserve maximum compensation. Our legal team knows how to build strong claims that get results, and we know how to treat TBI victims and their families with the respect and care that they need during this difficult time. Contact us today for a free consultation.
June 10th, 2019
Most people don’t expect their pets to suddenly lash out or act aggressively, but even the most docile and well-behaved dogs can attack without warning or a history of violence. When that happens, innocent victims can suffer debilitating injuries.
At Lowell Stanley Injury Lawyers, our Norfolk dog bite attorneys know that victims are often reluctant to seek compensation after being injured by other people’s pets—even if they incur significant medical expenses and experience severe pain and disability. If you or someone you love was bitten by a dog, it’s important to explore your rights to compensation, as the bite may prove extremely disruptive to your life.
Complications associated with dog bites include:
- Infection—Contrary to popular belief, dogs’ mouths are full of bacteria. When they bite, their sharp teeth can push that bacteria deep into the bloodstream, making victims likely to develop localized or even systemic infections.
- Nerve damage—When dogs bite, they can damage skin, blood vessels, muscle, tendons, and even nerves. Nerve damage is difficult to repair, and some victims may experience permanent loss of feeling or function in bite locations and surrounding areas.
- Blood loss—Heavy bleeding is common after dog bites. In some cases, it can be a medical emergency. Victims who experience significant blood loss can go into shock, which may be life-threatening.
Complications from dog bites can be financially devastating, as they may require expensive medical treatments and can put you out of work for weeks, months, or even years. Get in touch with us today to find out how we can help you get the money you deserve.
June 3rd, 2019
Going into labor can be stressful and even dangerous. You trust your doctor and other healthcare providers at the hospital to protect you and your baby from the moment you check in to the moment you begin your journey home. However, nearly 10,000 infants are born with birth injuries annually in the U.S., and a significant number of mothers experience complications and injuries as well.
There are risks associated with every step of the delivery process, and the medical professionals in charge of your baby’s delivery are supposed to do everything in their power to minimize your risks. When they fail to do so due to negligence or carelessness, you or your baby may experience health problems that can be permanently disabling and even life-threatening.
Some of those injuries and complications can include:
- Cerebral palsy—A disorder that affects physical and mental development, cerebral palsy can be caused when babies experience oxygen deprivation or head injuries during birth.
- Uterine rupture—Some women are prone to uterine ruptures during pregnancy, but they can be prevented with careful monitoring and check-ups.
- Erb’s palsy—Children whose vertebral nerves are injured during delivery may experience permanent weakness and loss of motion in their arms, hands, and fingers.
If you or your baby were hurt before, during, or after delivery because of negligent medical professionals, you deserve the maximum compensation. Contact the Norfolk birth injury attorneys at Lowell Stanley Injury Lawyers today. We’re ready to put our experience to work for you.