Lowell Stanley Injury Lawyers Blog
September 24th, 2018
Car crashes aren’t just painful and emotionally traumatic—they’re also expensive. It’s not uncommon for victims to face financial ruin and even bankruptcy over accidents that weren’t their fault. That’s because crashes frequently cause serious injuries that require extensive medical care—and those same injuries often put victims out of work for weeks, months, or even years.
At Lowell Stanley Injury Lawyers, our Norfolk auto accident attorneys know how devastating car accidents can be for victims and their families. In addition to facing long roads to recovery, victims also face medical bills that they can’t afford due to being unable to work.
Thankfully, victims have the opportunity to file claims for compensation when they’re injured in crashes that weren’t their fault. Types of compensation that are available to victims include:
- Medical bill compensation—Ambulance rides, surgeries, overnight stays in the hospital, and physical rehabilitation costs can quickly add up and become overwhelming for many victims, including those with extensive health insurance. Many compensation claims include demands for recouping some or all medical bills associated with crashes.
- Lost wage compensation—When victims aren’t working, they aren’t earning the paychecks their families depend on. Some victims may be unable to work for weeks or months, while others may never get back on the job due to permanent disabilities. Injury claims can award money based on current and future lost wages.
Other types of compensation can include vehicle repair costs and pain and suffering. Want to find out how much money your claim is worth? Call us today for a free consultation.
September 17th, 2018
Personal injury claims can help victims and their families get compensation after someone else’s negligence causes them to suffer serious illnesses or injuries. When negligence leads to fatal illnesses or injuries, victims’ families can file wrongful death claims to be compensated for their medical bills, lost wages, and loss of companionship, support, and love.
However, wrongful death claims are often treated differently than personal injury claims by insurance companies. Because the settlements are often bigger, insurance companies may push back harder against victims’ families when they pursue compensation. In addition, the deaths of victims can make it more difficult for their families to prove what happened, especially if there were few witnesses.
At Lowell Stanley Injury Lawyers, our Norfolk wrongful death attorneys know how to investigate wrongful death claims to maximize the chances of getting compensation for grieving families. We do that by collecting evidence that proves another party’s negligence caused the fatal illness or injury, and then we calculate how much the family deserves for their loss. When our law firm represent you, we’ll negotiate with the insurance company to make sure your claim gets a fair look and a fair outcome from their adjusters.
Dealing with the loss of a loved one can be a difficult time for families, especially when it puts them in a financial bind. We know what you’re going through, and we want to help. Call us today for a free consultation.
September 10th, 2018
When you head out on your motorcycle, you probably do everything you can to protect yourself. That means wearing all the gear, all the time, including a helmet, riding jacket and pants, gloves, and boots.
But even the most well-equipped rider still faces significant risks during accidents. That’s because motorcycles have no built-in protective equipment. When riders are thrown from their bikes, they can suffer disabling and life-threatening injuries when they contact the road, another vehicle, or nearby objects.
Motorcycle injuries can be devastating, and many riders suffer permanent disabilities and may be unable to work for long periods of time. Some are never able to resume their careers, putting themselves and their families in serious financial jeopardy.
At Lowell Stanley Injury Lawyers, our Norfolk motorcycle accident attorneys fight for the rights of people who were hurt through no fault of their own, and it’s our goal to get victims like you the compensation they need to move forward with their lives.
When you call our legal team, you can count on us to collect evidence that proves you weren’t at fault. Then, we’ll negotiate with the insurance company to help you get maximum compensation. If the insurance company refuses to pay you what you deserve, we won’t hesitate to take your case to trial.
Don’t settle for just any law firm after your motorcycle accident. Get an attorney that knows what you’re going through and knows how to help. Call today for a free consultation.
September 4th, 2018
Your paycheck is your livelihood, and there’s nothing more frustrating than having it taken away from you because of an injury you suffered at work.
Most employers in Virginia are required to carry workers’ compensation insurance to help their employees if they become injured or develop illnesses while they’re on the job. But some employers are reluctant to approve workers’ compensation claims, and it can be difficult to get approval from the Virginia Workers’ Compensation Commission when you apply for benefits on your own.
At Lowell Stanley Injury Lawyers, our Norfolk workers’ compensation lawyers are dedicated to fighting for the rights of people like you who can’t work for the foreseeable future because of on-the-job incidents. Your employer was supposed to provide adequate protection and safety measures for you, and their workers’ compensation coverage is supposed to give you the money you need to pay for your living expenses.
Don’t take no for an answer from either your employer or the workers’ compensation commission. You have rights, and we can uphold them for you. The longer you wait to get legal representation, the more difficult it may be for your claim to be approved. That’s because evidence can disappear and your claim may be viewed with more suspicion.
Get a lawyer today and get started on the path to the benefits you deserve. Call us today for a free consultation.
August 27th, 2018
The law helps create a duty to adhere to behavior that doesn’t endanger others. When people fail to uphold that duty, they can seriously injure themselves and innocent victims.
At Lowell Stanley Injury Lawyers, it’s our goal to stand up for people who were hurt through no fault of their own. Our Norfolk personal injury lawyers know how disruptive accidents and disabling injuries can be to victims’ lives, especially when big medical bills are involved.
Here are two important reasons that victims’ injury claims can benefit from experienced lawyers:
- Insurance companies can take advantage of unrepresented victims—Insurance companies pay as little as possible to victims in order to protect their profits. They often achieve that by offering lowball settlements in the days or weeks after accidents. After victims accept those offers, they can’t pursue additional compensation. Victims with attorneys can continue fighting to get the full damages they deserve.
- The claim process can be intensive and exhausting—especially when you’re injured—After a serious or disabling injury, your biggest priority is getting better. That means resting and spending time with your family. You shouldn’t have to spend your days filling out paperwork, collecting evidence, or negotiating with the insurance company. Instead, you can leave those tasks up to your lawyer.
You’ve been through enough already. Let our legal team handle your claim to help maximize your chances of getting the money you deserve. Call today for a free consultation.
August 20th, 2018
When you travel throughout Norfolk on your bicycle, you’re required to follow the same traffic laws as people in cars, trucks, and SUVs. That means stopping at stop signs and red lights, obeying the speed limit, and upholding your duty to share the road safely and responsibly with others.
Because you’re required to follow those traffic laws, you’re also granted the same rights as other motorists and people on Virginia’s streets. However, those rights may not always hold much weight when you’re hurt in an accident while you’re on your bicycle.
That’s because insurance companies don’t always take claims from bicyclists seriously—even if they suffered severe injuries. The adjusters who work for insurance companies are often biased against motorcyclists and bicyclists, and they may think your accident was your own fault, that your injuries aren’t serious, or that you didn’t adequately protect yourself.
At Lowell Stanley Injury Lawyers, our Norfolk bicycle accident attorneys know that bicyclists are extremely vulnerable during crashes. We also know that motorists often don’t look for people traveling on two wheels, which further increases the risks that bicyclists face.
Don’t let the insurance company take advantage of you or deny your claim for no good reason. Get an experienced law firm on your side that will stand up for your rights to the compensation you deserve.
Call us today for a free consultation and let us put our experience to work for you.
August 13th, 2018
Finding out that your loved one wasn’t given the care, attention, and medical treatment he or she deserves in the nursing home is devastating. It’s even worse to learn that he or she was physically, mentally, or sexually abused while living in the facility.
At Lowell Stanley Injury Lawyers, we have zero tolerance for facilities that hire staff members who mistreat residents. When we take on such claims, we do everything in our power to get maximum compensation for victims and their families. It’s the least we can do to help them put the incident behind them and to find better accommodations and facilities where residents are treated with respect and dignity.
If your loved one was abused or neglected in his or her nursing home, there are two important reasons that you should calling a Norfolk nursing home abuse attorney:
- We’ll stand up to the nursing home and its insurance company—Many nursing homes are parts of big corporations, and there may be dozens of similar nursing homes operating under the same management and ownership. That can make it difficult for individual families to pursue compensation. But we know how those corporations and their insurers operate, and we can beat them at their own game.
- We’ll fight for your loved one’s rights—Nursing home residents in Virginia have many rights, and when they’re violated, and they deserve a voice and an advocate. In addition to fighting for your loved one to get fair compensation, we’ll also fight to make sure his or her rights are upheld and respected.
Call today for a free consultation. Your loved one deserves experienced legal representation after what he or she has been through, and we’re here to help.
August 6th, 2018
Around four million babies are born in the U.S. every year. The doctors, nurses, and other healthcare professionals who assist during the delivery process are invaluable for keeping women and their children safe, especially when complications arise.
But sometimes, those complications are caused by the healthcare providers themselves. When people involved in the delivery process are negligent or careless, serious injuries can occur to mothers and babies.
Common injuries include cerebral palsy and Erb’s palsy in children and uterine rupture in mothers. Some birth injuries can be prevented via careful monitoring and handling, and potential complications can be resolved when doctors and nurses are quick to notice symptoms and injuries. However, the proper steps aren’t always taken just before, during, and after delivery, and that can cause women and their children to suffer debilitating and even life-threatening injuries.
At Lowell Stanley Injury Lawyers, our Norfolk birth injury attorneys know how devastating those types of complications are for families and mothers. Everyone wants the best start in life for their child, and knowing that the healthcare professionals you entrusted with the birth of your child may have harmed him or her is shocking and painful.
Let us help you get the compensation you deserve during this difficult time. Call us today for a free consultation. We’re ready to put our experience to work for you.
July 30th, 2018
Car accidents are painful, stressful, and often traumatic for victims. It’s natural to want to share your experience with others, including your coworkers, the insurance adjuster, and even your social media friends and followers.
But it’s important to remember that insurance companies are always looking for ways to reduce or deny payments to victims like you. The adjusters that work for insurers will go to great lengths to collect evidence that implicates people who file compensation claims for their own accidents.
At Lowell Stanley Injury Lawyers, our Norfolk car accident attorneys know how invasive adjusters can be, and they often twist victims’ words and use them against them.
You can protect your rights by keeping these rules of thumb in mind:
- Stick to the facts when talking to the adjuster—Insurance adjusters often seem friendly on the phone or in person, but they’re often looking for direct or indirect statements that indicate fault for crashes. If you haven’t hired an attorney yet, stick to the facts when talking to the adjuster. Otherwise, let your lawyer handle all communication with the insurance company.
- Don’t post about your accident or injury claim on social media—Social media posts can be saved forever and even used as evidence in claims and court cases. Keep all information or opinions concerning your accident and your case off social media to make it that much harder for the insurance company to deny you the money you deserve.
When you call us, we’ll do everything we can to maximize your chances of getting the money you deserve—and that includes advising you on what to do and talking to the insurance company on your behalf. Contact us today for a free consultation.
July 23rd, 2018
The number of drugs approved for sale and usage in the U.S. in 2017 reached a 21-year high, with 46 new medications getting the green light from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
Every year, dozens of new drugs are released to the consumer market. And while most of those drugs are safe due to rigorous testing, some aren’t. That’s because drug manufacturers don’t always test their drugs as thoroughly as they’re supposed to. And in some cases, drug companies are aware of potentially dangerous complications, but they don’t report them to make sure their drugs get FDA approval.
At Lowell Stanley Injury Lawyers, we believe that multi-billion-dollar pharmaceutical companies should be held liable when their negligence or greed causes innocent victims like you to suffer serious drug-related side effects or injuries.
When you call our Norfolk drug injury lawyers, we’ll take the following steps to build a strong claim for you:
- We’ll prove the drug caused your health problems—Drug companies are skeptical of injury reports associated with their drugs—especially when the injuries aren’t consistent with publicized side effects. But other information, including FDA recalls/warnings and scientific studies, can establish a link between your health problems and the drug you took.
- We’ll prove the drug manufacturer was negligent—When a potentially dangerous drug gets released, there’s a good chance its manufacturer was negligent. Whether the drug company skipped steps in the testing process or obfuscated evidence that the drug you took could cause harm to patients, we’ll hold it accountable for its negligence.
Trust our experience—we know drug injury claims, and we know what it takes to win. Call today for a free consultation.